Serves: 6 or more
Lavender sugar and Purple Haze® in vanilla cheesecake; dessert and aromatherapy in one.
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (substitute rice flour if gluten-free recipe is desired)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 20 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 oz Purple Haze®
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Lavender Sugar*
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 Tbsp lavender sugar (according to desired strength of lavender flavor)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF with oven rack set in middle position.
- Prepare springform pan by wrapping the bottom with aluminum foil, set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add flour and almonds, mixing until combined and dough begins to clump together.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the springform pan with floured fingers and bake until golden brown, about 15-25 minutes. Cool crust completely in pan.
- Blend all 6 filling ingredients in food processor until completely smooth. Pour mixture into cooled crust.
- Bake until cake filling is “just set,” about 35 minutes. Carefully remove cheesecake from oven and allow to cool in the pan to room temperature. As it cools, the filling will shrink down into the pan. When cooled, use a paring knife to release the edges from the side of the pan. Release the springform and chill, uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, combine all 3 topping ingredients in a small bowl and spread the topping mixture evenly over cheesecake.
*Grind lavender and sugar (1:10 ratio) using a mortar and pestle until the lavender is mostly pulverized (sift out large lavender pieces if desired).
Cheesecake photo by Vanessa Couvrey.